Happy National Dog Day! We are celebrating by making homemade dog treats! It’s been years since I made treats, the first time I did I was in Girl Scouts and we made enough for the cats and dogs at our local animal shelter.
One great thing about making your own treats is that you know exactly what is being put in them. So many brands use harmful ingredients.
I tried to find the brands with the least added sugars. The natural peanut butter, whole wheat flour, and nonfat Greek yogurt are the ingredients I chose.
You Will Need
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup warm water
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Line a cookie tray with either parchment paper or tinfoil
3. Mix all ingredients into a large mixing bowl
4. Mix until all ingredients are well blended. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit more yogurt; if it is too wet, add more flour
5. On a clean countertop, sprinkle a little bit of flour and begin to roll your dough out with a rolling pin
6. Don’t be afraid to use your hands to really mix the dough
7. Use your cookie cutter to make your treats
8. Put cutouts onto the lines tray, leaving some room for them to rise
8. Bake for 20 minutes
9. You’re done! Let them cool and allow your pup to enjoy
I could barely get a photos of them eating! They really liked them. Happy National Dog Day!